30th October 2017
Photographic and Video Consent
As you may be aware, we are now active on Facebook and Twitter. This will be used as extra channel of communication to keep parents up to date on forthcoming events and successes in school. Please follow us and keep yourself informed at:
We often take photographs in school to celebrate small and big successes in lessons, sports fixtures, extra-curricular clubs and concerts. This letter explains why we need to ask you for your consent to any photographs of your child while at school. Please fill in and return the attached form to let us know your wishes.
Generally, photographs for school and family use, and those that appear in the press, are a source of pleasure and pride, which we believe can enhance the self-esteem for our pupils, and their families, and so are to be welcomed. Children love to have their work photographed and by uploading this onto our website or school media pages, this helps give parents an insight as to what their children do in school, day to day.
However, we live in an age in which digital technology has vastly increased the use, and potential misuse, of photography, and there has been publicity surrounding concern about the safety of filming school events, and about the risk of a child being identified by a photograph in the local press, and as a result being targeted for abuse.
In line with many schools and following advice from organisations such as local authorities and the police, we have taken the view that the risk of a child being identified by a stranger is so small that, providing reasonable steps are in place in terms of school security, planning to ensure an appropriate photograph, and to protect the full name and contact details of the children, the practice of photography for school events by families and the media, should continue.
The Department for Education’s broad rule of thumb for schools is that “if the pupil is named, avoid using the photograph. If the photograph is used, avoid naming the pupil”. For our own school publications, we will follow this advice for photographs to be used for circulation beyond the school. The press, however, like to reflect the local community by naming children who appear, and may decline to photograph your child if this facility is denied to them.
We are mindful of the fact that for some families, there may be reasons why a child’s identification is a matter of particular anxiety, and if you have special circumstances either now, or at any time in the future which would affect or change your consent of this issue, you need to let the school office know straight away.
Please be aware that unless this form is returned, we will be unable to use photographs or videos of your child on our website, school social media pages, in publications or locations outside of school.
Conditions of School Use
• This form is valid for the duration your child remains at Scissett Middle School.
• It is your responsibility to let us know if you want to withdraw or change your agreement at any time.
• We will not include details or full names (which means first name and surname) of any child or adult in an image on video, on our website, or in printed publications, without good reason. For example, we may include the full name of a school prize winner if we have parental consent. However, we will not include the full name of a pupil used in promotional literature.
• We will not include personal e-mail or postal addresses, or telephone or fax numbers on video or on our website or in printed publications.
• If we use images of individual pupils, we will not use the name of that child in the accompanying text or photo caption without good reason and if a pupil is named in the text, we will not use a photograph of that child to accompany the article without good reason. For example, we may include a picture and full name of a school prize winner if we have parental consent. However, we will not include a picture and full name of a pupil used in promotional literature.
• We may include, if selected, work from pupils.
• We may use group or class images with very general labels, such as “a science lesson” or “making Christmas decorations”.
• We will only use images of pupils who are suitably dressed, to reduce the risk of such images being used inappropriately. This may include suitable PE kit e.g. T-Shirts and jogging bottoms or football kits but will not include unsuitable PE kit e.g. leotards or swimwear.
• We cannot film or take photographs of any child that is under the care of the local authority.
Please contact the school office if you have any questions relating to this consent form.
Conditions of Parental Use
As the child’s parents/guardian, we agree that if we take photographs or video recording of our child/ren which include other pupils, we will:
• Only use these photos for personal and family use only.
• Only put photos of our children taken at school on social media networks if they do not contain recognisable images of other children.
I/we understand that where consent has not been obtained from the other parents for any other use, we would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 if we used out images or recordings for any wider purpose.
If you could complete and sign the form attached to this letter and return to the office before Monday 6th November 2017 I would be very grateful.
For queries contact Mrs S Booth - Tel: 01484 865444 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scissett Middle School, Wakefield Road, Scissett, Huddersfield, HD8 9JX
Part of The Mast Academy Trust (please contact Mrs S Booth c/o Scissett Middle School).
If you require a paper copy of any items on the website please contact Mrs S Booth.